Revised April 2011
1 - CONFERENCE ACRONYMS
- Deaf Seniors of America, Incorporated, is hereinafter referred to as “DSA” while any organization seeking to bid to host a biennial Conference is hereinafter referred to as “HOST”.
2 - CONFERENCE HOST & ACCOUNTABILITY
- DSA encourages state and local organizations to bid for national conferences. Preference is given to those state and local organizations that are composed primarily of seniors who are deaf. In the absence of any interest from an organization of deaf seniors, bidding may be opened to other organizations. For example, state association of the deaf, or centers serving primarily senior citizens who are deaf.
3 - HOST'S LEGAL STATUS AS AN ORGANIZATION
- In order to make a bid, HOST first must be legally and formally established with incorporation document, structured bylaws, tax exemption status and tax identification number both issued by the Internal Revenue Service.
4 - CONFERENCE LOCATION
- In choosing a Conference location, factors such as available transportation, convenience of location to the membership and Host institution, and availability of satisfactory Conference lodgings and facilities at reasonable prices will be considered.
5 - CONFERENCE DATES
- The Conference dates shall be between April and November in odd numbered years.
6 - CONFERENCE SIZE
- There are typically 2,000-3,000 participants, including exhibitors. DSA prefers a Conference site that can accommodate this number of participants.
7 - MEMBERSHIP COMPOSITION
- The membership is composed of mainly deaf senior citizens whose age is 50 years old or older.
8 - LENGTH OF CONFERENCE
- The Conference covers at least 6 days.
9 - CONFERENCE BID REQUIREMENTS
- 1. Bidding is usually for a conference to be held up to six years in advance.
- 2. Any HOST interested in bidding for a biennial conference should notify DSA President by letter with conference bid form on last page of its intent to bid at least two months before the next scheduled conference.
- 3. All bidders shall make a deposit of $2,000 payable to DSA two months prior to the first day of the conference during which the conference participants vote on the selection of the site. Upon conclusion of votes, losing bidders shall receive their deposits back.
10 - RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE HOST
- 1. HOST, if selected, shall agree to abide by DSA policies governing biennial Conferences.
- 2. HOST is responsible for making arrangements with a hotel or conference center, and providing for the Conference by appointing HOST committees to arrange for the following:
- Tours: Plans / Cancellation / Refunds
- Hotel: Reservations / Cancellation / Refunds
- Advertisement in New Horizons
- Meeting Rooms
- Opening & Closing Ceremonies
- Audio-Visual: Services / Equipment in Storage
- Captioning Services
- Exhibitor Space
- Daily Newsletter Printing
- Interpreter Service
- Catering Services
- Program Book
- Special Services for Deaf/Blind Attendees
- Liability Insurance Coverage
- Fidelity Bond
- Membership Data and Dues
- Public Relations
- Wheelchair & Scooter Rentals
- Insurance Coverage related to wheelchair and scooter injuries
- Conference Information and Schedule on HOST's website
- Complimentary Lodging for DSA President
- Emergency Services
11 - COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSON OR DESIGNATED PERSON OF THE HOST
- Attendance at any past Conference is advisable.
12 - CONFERENCE LIAISON
- Appointed by the DSA President, a designated Board Member shall become Point of Contact (POC) and shall meet with the future Conference HOST chairperson and/or committee to make sure they understand their role and responsibilities prior to the vote at the General Meeting.
13 - SITE VISIT
- After the final selection, a site visit of the proposed lodging venue will be arranged as soon as possible by the conference HOST at DSA's expense. Upon completion of the site visit, a liaison person from the DSA board will work with HOST.
14 - CONTRACTS/CONTRACTUAL COMMITMENTS ON BEHALF OF DSA (GENERAL)
- HOST understands that any contracts involving DSA must be approved by the DSA board.
15 - MEDIA RIGHTS OF DSA
- HOST understands that DSA may hire a photographer to take pictures or shoot videos for archive purposes.
16 - MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING (MOU)
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) outlining the duties and responsibilities of HOST winning the bid and DSA with respect to the biennial conference will be developed and signed by both parties within 6 months after winning the bid.
17 - FINAL DECISION
- If necessary, the DSA Board will exercise its rights to make the final decision about where the Conference is to be held.
If you desire a printable pdf file of this page, please press this link.