DSA Board Policy
Revised as of 4/14/07 in Orlando
Board: Responsibility and Roles
- The President shall be the spokesperson for DSA in any and all media related instances.
- The Treasurer shall be bonded. If needed, a tax preparer may be appointed to assist the Treasurer.
- NEW HORIZONS:
a. The Board shall elect Editor of New Horizons with the understanding that the Editor has reviewed and agreed with the New Horizons Policy
b. Selection of Circulation Manager may be made by the Editor of New Horizons, subject to approval by the Board
c. Selection of Advertising Manager may be made by the Editor of New Horizons, subject to approval by the Board
d. The Board shall elect members to the Editorial Board.
- A designated Board Member shall meet with the future Conference host candidates bidding to make sure they understand their role and responsibilities prior to the vote at the General Meeting.
- A Board Member shall be assigned the responsibility of following upon (active and associate) members who have allowed their membership to lapse and recruiting new members.
- There shall be at least two Board meetings between Conferences.
- A prospective Board Member has to have attended a Conference before becoming a candidate for any office.
- The new Board shall have its first board meeting after the conclusion of the DSA conference for the purpose of orientation and planning.
- The President and one board member shall make a dry run of the site of next conference.
- For Board meetings, DSA will cover flight and half room lodging costs per Board Member. In the event there is only one member of either gender the room cost shall be covered in full.
- For Board meetings, per diem will be $10.00 per meal when DSA does not pick up the tab and/or tab is covered not to include alcoholic beverages.
- Board Members' transportation cost from airport at local meeting site to hotel and back will be covered by DSA.
- The DSA will cover flight and full room lodging costs for each Board member at the biennial conference. In case of driving, mileage will be paid according to the federal rate. (However, the treasurer will check the airfare and pay whichever is less.)
- Every effort shall be made by board members to stay in allotted times for board meetings.
- Whenever necessary, a suite shall be reserved for the President for the purpose of having board meetings.
- Full DSA advertisement shall be inserted in DSA Conference program book at no cost to DSA.
- The Treasurer shall receive the Electronic copy of Conference attendees' mailing addresses including postal mailing addresses and email addresses within 60 days after the end of conference.
- The DSA Board shall be responsible for DSA Awards and Certificates of Appreciation which will be presented at the Biennial Conference
a. DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARD: To be awarded to an individual who has performed an outstanding service benefiting America's Deaf.
b. RALPH WHITE EXTRA MILE AWARD: To be awarded to an individual who has performed above and beyond the call of duty while performing exceptional service to Deaf Seniors of America Inc. or Deaf Seniors.
c. ORGANIZATIONAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: To be awarded to any group performing exceptional service to Deaf Seniors of America Inc. or Deaf Seniors.
- A nominations committee chair shall be appointed by DSA.
Orientation at First Board Meeting shall include:
- *Board Policy
- *Contact Information
- DSA Brochure
- Assignment of Responsibilities
- Guidelines (Bidding and Conference)
- MOU (Memorandum of Understanding)
- Chart of Conference events